Abaddon’s Gate is the third book in The Expanse series. It follows the crew of the Rocinante, Anna Volovodov, Bull, and Mulba Koh as they are all forced to face the Ring in the far reaches of the solar system.
- Once again, the chapters told from Holden’s point of view remain the chapters which I look forward to reading the most. Though, the other characters were way more enjoyable to read here compared to Caliban’s War.
- Where Leviathan Wakes and Caliban’s War focused on the protomolecule, I was glad to see that Abaddon’s Gate, while not necessarily moving away from the protomolecule, focused on a much larger scale threat.
- Awesome characters. Melba Koh/Clarissa Mao was a great antagonist. You are able to empathize with why she is doing the things she is doing. Ashford, while a more shallow antagonist, was still a good addition to the story that offered a sort of balance to Clarissa’s character.
- The first third of the book was a little slow. I was also super busy in my personal life around this time where I would go a day or two without reading which might have seemed to make this part of the book drag more for me.
- Bull and Anna, while eventually became more interesting characters, were boring at first. Around the half way point, things really start to fire on all cylinders for all characters.
- Honestly, I don’t really have anything bad to say about this book. Once every character was where they were supposed to be and doing what they needed to do, this book was great.
The Final Thought:
- Abaddon’s Gate still didn’t reach Leviathan’s Wake for me, but it was damn close. I think LW is so good because it consists of only Holden and his crew and Miller.
- I’m very interested to see where they take Miller from here and whatever is controlling him. I’m hoping we see some sort of big alien antagonist in the coming books!
Thanks for reading!